Friday, November 03, 2006

New Book...Maybe you should read it?


So I just finished a new book. I loved it. I know a lot of people say that about books, but I don't. I can think of maybe a handful of books that I actually love....Maybe 4? I love a book that I deem intelligent, thought provoking, something that I walk away from either enriched or at least one that caused me to think or has enlightened me in some way. I know that makes it sound boring, but I have no other way of describing what I like in a book. I want something that is real (not necessarily non-fiction), alive, and I am the better for reading it. For me, if I am actually going to commit to reading something, I want my imagination to be stimulated, for my thoughts to be challenged, to walk away maybe a little different? (Is that really what I want to say??)

Anyway, all that was to say that I really enjoyed a new book. It is called "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell.
It is a very easy read, I think like 180 pages. I think you should take the time to read it, you might be pleasantly surprised at it's perspective and the ways it's philosophy is presented. When you read it let me know what you think. I hope it is for you what it was for me.

5 comments:

Ryan Woods said...

I read this book and loved it. I then told my wife to read it and she loved it. I told my dad to read it and he is loving it. I told Jesus to read it and he said (and I quote) "Verily I say unto thee, this book is the balls. Thanks for recomending it to me Ryan." and I was like "you're welcome Jesus." and he was like...well, you get the idea.

tara said...

i have 4 people in this world that i look up to and will live by their words alone- jess, ryan, dad and jesus. so yes, i will read this book.

arwen said...

well... I partially trust Ryan's book judgement... those CS Lewis books were indeed the balls, but... I don't think they were the same kind that Jesus meant about the Elvis book... and then, Well... we all remember how Jess' favorite book recommedation (Jane Air)(yes, I know that's not the real title) went down. But then, along came Blue Like Jazz, so I guess I'll read this one. And Jesus doesn't count because he called me a ho once. Albeit (anyone want to tell me how that word really gets spelled?) I was a lucky ho... a ho none the less...

Ryan Woods said...

I did warn you about the Lewis books. They didn't come recomended as this book does, or even as blue like jazz did. Just remember that...please. Remember that.

Jen said...

I know no one's going to read this comment either but Ben just bought that book... That's all.